Thursday, February 25, 2010

A SoapBox Regarding Magazines

As I have Olympic Fever, I have been soaking up all of the media regarding Evan vs. Johnny and am overall excited that people seem to care about skating and selfishly, hoping that that interest as well as gymnastics being the #1 watched Summer Olympics sport will one day lead to my dream TV channel of nothing but skatenastics. Anyhoo, I was pleased to read this article in Details which pre-dates the Olympics but is still a well-written piece about the difference between Evan Lysacek and Johnny Weir. This leads me to a little blurb about while I am so proud that women have come so far in the feminist movement, why can't their magazines seem to reach the same level? I just passed by an InTouch with a photo of Ashlee Simpson on the cover with the story: "Ashlee Shocker: Her Nose Grew Back!" WTF?

We are given the gift at the office here of extra magazines that people give away after reviewing the ads we place in them. I soak up magazines like Johnny soaks up anything coming close to Bedazzled. I'll read anything. I'll forget most. Except usually what I read in Esquire, Details, and GQ. While I obviously skim the men's fragrance pullouts and articles on the new trends in tie widths, the interviews and articles are just, well, so much better. I close the magazine smarter, better educated, satisfied.

Jane Magazine (RIP) knew what it was doing. Even Blueprint and Domino. Hell, I even read Teen Vogue to try and find some stuff. Am I missing the mark? I pick up trash and women's magazines like Cosmo when I am getting a pedicure, since let's face it, the supply of GQ at the salons doesn't quite add up, but I laugh at how pointless and lame they are (really? Another Mind-blowing Move To Try On Him?) I read magazines for 14-year-olds and 54-year-olds. Somehow it just all seems to be the same. This post is way too negative for a blog that's all about awesomeness and positivity. But, I ask you all, is there anything out there targeted to women that is full of as much awesomeness as the men get? Please advise.

Yours, Pia The Pig

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails