Monday, March 1, 2010

Happy March!

March is here! That means St. Patty's Day is coming up, and I'm in a wedding on the 13th, and celebrating a few family birthdays and anniversaries. Also, of course today I must wish you all Happy Bachelor Finale Day.

Here's a long list of March holidays, and in honor of March 1st being National Pig Day, I believe it's time for me to reveal the face behind Pia The Pig. Pia The Pig was given to me as a child at the ripe age of two, back in 1983, by my Aunt Joanie. At the time, Pia was bright pink, with gorgeous black velvet paws and a jubilant smile. Since 1983, Pia has rarely left my side (or under the covers as my bedspreads changed from bunnies to hearts to brushstrokes to damask), serving as my "lovey" and travel companion. Pia now gets falsely categorized as a "bear" or some other animal that is not pink, sadly. Pia as you see below, in a photo shoot from 2006, is gray. Gray and loved and full of memories and hugs and a lifetime of Jill.



Pia's tag quickly fell off when I was little, making a duplicate Pia quite hard to come by. (A scare in the late 80's "WHERE IS PIA!?" was one of my most traumatic in my childhood, only to find Pia sitting atop the magazines in our local Skaggs Alpha Beta.) Until, in 2003, my mom called me with all sorts of crazy in her voice exclaiming, "I FOUND PIA!" Confused, I listened in, as she explained she found another Pia at an estate sale just blocks away from her house. A lady who had purchased the pig 25 years earlier for her son who never, well, appreciated Pia to the crazy extent I do, but she held on to it because she thought it was so cute. (Duh.) A bargain $3 later, my mom brought home Pristine Pia (the way MY Pia looked in 1983 which no one can believe) and Pristine Pia now sits in a case on my living room bookshelf. The comparison is usually a hit for first-time guests in my home.

Pia has been the subject of a 1992 Grade-A children's book, "Pia The Pig Says I Can't" and has now progressed into a professional blogger. So glad you could meet.

Happy March!
With Love,
Pia The Pig

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails