Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Queue The Martha: It's Christmas Time!

Hey Sugarplums! It's December and officially winter here in Dallas. I unwrapped my dry-cleaned-up coat this morning and headed to work as everyone freaked out about snow. Maybe I was driving to work in a daze (YES) but I missed the snow. Anyhoo, saddle up, it's cold, and your even mantles need some warmth, too. (Queue the segue into Martha crafts...)

AAAD Reader and Christmas Craftess Tara garnered loads of Facebook comments when she posted this photo below and a modest "I made this" of the fabulous Martha tree below.
FANTASTIC! I've asked Tara to do a guest post for all of you crafting ladies to try this at home. Enjoy!

Bust out the paper cutter, ladies. It’s time to get your craft on with this eco-friendly Christmas tree made from recycled newspaper. All it takes is a little patience and a lot of time, but the wow factor is WAY worth it. I was browsing on iDIY blog (one of my faves, recommended by the AAAD author herself), and after clicking on a few links I came across this project idea on MarthaStewart.com. I think it’s a couple years old, but it was news to me (no pun intended).

The online video is key – watch Martha’s flawless execution, and it will be a piece of cake for you. Otherwise, the words “bone folder” will probably make zero sense to you. And make sure to get a paper cutter of some sort - don’t even think about cutting those 300 sheets of newspaper by hand. Martha’s “ingredients” say you’ll need a metal knitting needle as the spike that holds the tree together, but I used a wooden bamboo skewer I had in the house already. It worked perfectly, and I even used the side of the skewer instead of the bone folder to fold the paper before building the tree.

Merry Christmas Tree Crafting!
Tara

Thanks, Tara!
Pia The Pig

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails