Monday, April 6, 2009

Awesome Eats: Don't Get It Twisted. No Wait...Do.


Don't get it twisted: Twisted Root Burger is the mecca of hamburger, root beer, irreverent bumper stickers, and fried delights. Saturday, the fam and I hit up the new TR in Richardson. Total hit. This place has delicious, topped with cheese, wrapped in a bun of entertainment. What? I don't know. But I do know that I need to go back and hit my mouth with another Swiss, Mushroom and Garlic Buffalo Burger immediately.

Here's the drill. Order at the counter after deciding just how much fat and chance of heart attack you're jonesin' for. (All burgers can be veggie, turkey, 93% fat free buffalo, a bunch of other animal options, or plain beef.) Just go with it. Then you can decide if you're going all the way with the Fried Ride (a collection of seasoned curly fries, onion rings, homemade sweet potato chips, fried pickles, and fried green beans). The answer will be yes, so just go with that, too. Oh, you can get almost anything on a hot dog, too. Hot dog! While you're deciding what you're eating, there are plenty of funny bumper stickers to read, but the line moves quickly. My personal fave was "I'm having so much fun I could poop." Yummy!


My family got a whole range of stuff, from the turkey burger, my garlic/mushroom/swiss deliciousness, to a buffalo burger topped with feta. We also opted for the Fried Ride and a side of curly fries. And a chocolate shake (awesome). Time to hit the fountain drinks. TR has an awesome watermelon sweet tea as well as two flavors of their homemade root beer. They had original as well as Cinnamon Pecan. Mom had original and liked it. I went for the watermelon tea.

Another aspect of entertainment (besides numerous flat-screens) is that instead of giving you an impersonal number or having to use your actual name (ugh, the monotony), you get a "famous name." My order was under the name Boo-Boo Kitty. Paris Hilton, Dr. Spock, and some other Star Trek character I forgot also dined with me as well. Tell the kids: even Hannah Montana was there! Bonus for an entire roll of paper towels at each table, and a bunch of homemade condiments to boot.

I thought about my burger all weekend. In like that "I'm obsessed with you" sort of way. But this was a buffalo burger. Awkward. But it felt so right.

Twisted Root Burger is awesome. Make the trip to Richardson, or hit up the original Deep Ellum location.
Bonus: Guy Fieri from Food Network stopped in to film an upcoming epi of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. Awesome!

This wouldn't be a complete post without a true shout-out to Ebony, the original model of Don't Get It Twisted.

Have an awesome Monday.
Pia The Pig

1 comment:

  1. they also own Cowboy Chow in Deep Ellum. worth it just for the fried green tomato lollipops.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails